2015 RCFBC Nutrition Challenge
We all want to eat better. With Thanksgiving right around the corner, what better way to kick off the holiday season than with a Nutrition Challenge? The ultimate goal is for you to make healthier food choices on a consistent basis. The Challenge is a fun way for you to kick start that process.
As with most things in CrossFit, this is a team effort again this year, so grab a partner. BUUUUT we added a twist this year. Because we want you to succeed, a Reebok CrossFit Bare Cove coach will be assigned to captain each team. Your coach will be there to motivate you, answer questions, and do everything he or she can to make this fun so we can help you reach your goals.
The cost is $10 per person and prizes will be given out weekly as well as at the end of the competition. This challenge is open to non-members, so if you have any friends or family members who want to learn to eat healthier, lean out, and have fun, please encourage them to sign-up.
What YOU Need To Do:
- Find a partner. After you and your partner sign-up, you will be assigned a RCFBC coach to be your team captain and that will be your team of 3. If you don’t have a partner, we can assign you one. Teamwork people!
- Sign-up in class or by using the form at the bottom of this page by Friday November 6th.
- Stop by RCFBC on Monday November 9th between 5:30am – 8:30 pm to have your measurements taken and grab your Success Packet that will contain the Do’s and Don’ts of the Nutrition Challenge, the point system, as well as information to help you succeed during this challenge.
- Attend one of our classes on Monday November 9th to determine your Fitness Benchmarks.
- Keep a daily log of EVERYTHING you eat and your exercise for the day. We will create the log online for you.
- Mark your calendar for our end of challenge party – Saturday December 12th. This is when we will announce the winners.
- Have Fun!!!!
How It Works
- You will have a chance to accumulate points daily and teams will be ranked weekly. The week will run from Monday – Sunday. At the end of the week teams will accumulate points based on your rank. So if we have 20 teams, the first place team will receive 20 points and the last place team 1 point. So every week you have a chance to accumulate points based on your performance that week. The team with the most points at the end of the competition is the winner.
- You will start the day with 10 points. EACH cheat food you have counts has – 1 point. Example: In one day if you have a piece of toast for breakfast, a slice of pizza for lunch, and a beer (12.oz or less) with dinner your total score for cheats that day is – 3.
- You get 3 points for attending a CrossFit or CrossFit Bootcamp Class at Bare Cove, 1 point for 15 minutes of mobility that day, and 1 point for an hour of fitness related activity (hike, play a sport, run, etc)
*Don’t worry, we have an automated score sheet for you to track 🙂
What can you eat?
- Proteins- Beef/steak (Grass fed is even better!), chicken, pork, fish, eggs, etc.
- Vegetables- Lots of them!
- Fruit – if your goals are to really lean out though, limit this to a serving or less per day
- Nuts – (For this challenge we will allow: Almond butter, cashew butter, macadamia nut butter). Peanuts are a legume, not a nut, so NO peanut butter.
- Seeds (Sunflower seeds, hemp seeds, chai seeds, flaxseed)
- Coconut oil
- Olive oil
- Black coffee – coconut creamers allowed as long as no sugar
- PURE dark chocolate (in moderation…like ½ a bar a week. Don’t go crazy :))
What is off limits?
- Bread – any kind, including gluten free
- Pasta – any kind, including gluten free
- Dairy (With exception of grass fed butter in moderation)
- Processed sugars
- Alcohol – Just test yourself!!! (Each beer (12 oz.), each glass of wine (6 oz.), each cocktail, is -1)
- Most starches (sweet potatoes are ok)
- Grains – Rice, oatmeal, granola, etc
- Vegetable and canola oil
Post WOD recovery
- Within 30 minutes of working out you are allowed to have protein powder, fuel for fire, and amino acid supplements.
Special Dietary Adjustments
If you have special dietary needs or practices (e.g. vegan), please let us know and we will adjust the structure for you. While a devout love for beer and liquor is understandable, it most certainly does not count as a special dietary need…sorry folks.