2016 Intramural Open
2/2/16 Update – CrosssFit 545 will be joining us for the Intramural Open!
That’s right – we have partnered with local box, CrossFit 545 to create an epic intramural open. They will appoint a 6th captain and be part of the draft on Tuesday. Members of all three boxes will be drafted for each team, so it’s an awesome opportunity to build our broader South Shore and CrossFit communities.
The CrossFit Open is a worldwide CrossFit competition. We do it every year along with 272 thousand people worldwide, you can say its fun. With a scaled and RX (prescribe division) it is also inclusive for any age group, skill level or experience. For the last two years, hundreds of gyms have used the “Intramural Open” idea to build community during the CrossFit Open. So to lessen the angst of anxiety over competition we are proud to announce that we will be implementing the “Intramural Open” for 2016. Now we will still be doing the workouts of the open along with the rest of the CrossFit community. We will still be rooting for our athletes to individually place high on the leaderboard. The intramural open just adds the element of inclusion and celebration instead of just competition (though there’s a good bit of that, too.) “Competition helps to inspire, the pressure to perform pushes you to train harder; the social boost of dozens of your best friends cheering for you will help you reach a higher plane”, says Chris Cooper the originator of the idea.
The intramural open will consist of 5 teams, those teams will be rewarded points based on participation, success and most importantly spirit on any given week. The intramural open will have 6 events, yes that is right 6!! The 5 workouts that are announced by the Director of the CrossFit games Dave Castro, and a final event we create that may or may not be held in the box. Who knows, stir fry cooking, bowling, jousting, street hockey, blindfolded dodgeball, it will be something fun for sure. To better explain the intramural open we will break it down into five stages, registration, draft, pre-open, open and post open.
1. Registration. You must be registered to be selected for a team. Registration for the Open can be done today at http://games.crossfit.com/announcements/2016-open-registration-live
Please choose your Affiliate as RCFBC, SCICOH, or 545. The affiliate has no bearing on the intramural open but should be chosen for the purpose of competition in the open.
2. Draft. We have selected 5 captains Jay “Mongoose” Cordeiro, Mel Curley Barrett, from Scicoh and Scott Birmingham, Christy Driscoll, Marlena Delaney from Bare Cove. We will now select a 6th from 545! Every athlete registered for the Open will be drawn from a hat and drafted onto an Intramural team, regardless of the box that they are currently a member. This is all about our community for this competition. Team Captains will rotate draws, and then notify the athletes who have been chosen for their team. The ‘Draft Party’ will take place February 9th 7:30pm at CrossFit Scicoh all are welcome.
3. Pre-Open. Immediately after the draft, the rest of the membership is open for recruitment by the captains.
Now lets talk about sportsmanship here. You can’t tell Mark Rollins to not sign up and then try to recruit him with a fictitious endorsement deal. That might be a little obvious. Captains can otherwise bribe, coerce or otherwise attempt to register any member for their team who are not already registered. Get creative, think about being a politician and not the bad kind, every recruit counts. Once recruited members sign up on CrossFit Games site listed above and the captains will report their new members. Because scoring favors the largest team, we will have a recruiting limit to keep teams even.
4. Open. All teams will participate in each of the announced workouts at a location to be determined. The first to be a Friday night lights event on February 26th at Bare Cove. Since 5 points are up for grabs with the spirit of the open award each week. We encourage teams to get creative, if wearing your favorite super hero costume (we already have batman in Mike LeJeune) or dressing in your favorite 80’s workout attire is what do for fun, then go for it. Now we know that life may prevent you from joining your teammates on a particular day, but you can complete the workout elsewhere, just make sure your team represents in your absence. The goal of the Intramural Open is built to increase participation and fun. So the scoring will reflect those goals:
A) Teams are given 1 point for every athlete who completes a given Open workout.
B) Teams are given 3 points for every athlete who finishes among the top 3 women or top 3 men from our community per workout. (RX ONLY)
C) Teams are given 5 points if they win the “Spirit of the Open” award on any given week. Voted by the spectators, so we encourage you to invite friends and family.
D) Teams are given 7 points if they win the Week 6 ( secret “fun” event.) Which can be held during the 5 week open competition or the week after, expect the unexpected.
5. Post Open. A grand prize will be awarded to the top team after the week 6 event, the prize will be announced on Friday February 26th. After all is said and done we will be launching our goal setting program which is a fantastic opportunity for our coaches and athletes to create long/short term goals.