How massage therapy can help CrossFit athletes
Massages aren’t just a treat anymore. As a CrossFit athlete, our bodies demand the recovery assistance from a massage. Foam rollers, lacrosse balls & bands sometimes do the trick, but ultimately it is a massage that will help those sore muscles recover.
Getting a regular massage once a month or more can help reduce soreness & risk of injury while increasing mobility and range of motion, so you can perform better.
During the high intensity activity that we perform, lactic acid is produced. Lactic acid and other general toxins increase in your muscles over time. Massage helps reduce these toxins and build-up of lactic acid.
Other benefits of massage include:
- Improve range of motion.
- Exercise and stretch weak, tight, or atrophied muscles.
- Help athletes of any level prepare for, and recover from, strenuous workouts.
- Increase joint flexibility.
- Lessen depression and anxiety.
- Promote tissue regeneration, reducing scar tissue and stretch marks.
- Pump oxygen and nutrients into tissues and vital organs, improving circulation.
- Reduce spasms and cramping.
- Relax and soften injured, tired, and overused muscles.
- Release endorphins—amino acids that work as the body’s natural painkiller.
- The best times to get a massage
- At least 45 mins- 1 hour after you have completed your WOD for the day
- During rest or recovery days
- 3 days before a competition or race (this will help improve range of motion & mobility)
- After a competition or race
- When you’re having a day and want to relax! J
To get the most out of your massage
- Drink lots of water before and after- being properly hydrated helps assist lymphatic drainage
- Take a nice warm bath with Epsom salts (they help reduce muscle soreness)
- Get a good night’s sleep
Transformative Massage with Vanessa Grace is conveniently located right inside the box at RCFBC!
Wednesday: 3p- 7p
Saturday and Sunday: By appointment only
Visit www.transformativemassage.org or call (978) 277-3529 to book your appointment!