Cerebral Sunday – Why do the Open?
On February 27th, the first WOD of the Reebok CrossFit Games Open will be announced. The open is a great opportunity to experience community and learn about yourself and your fitness. I know a lot of folks are unsure exactly what it’s all about, so I’m going to repost the same thing I wrote last year. Check it out!
Hey Bare Covers,
The Reebok CrossFit Games Open is around the corner!
What is The Open?
We have all experienced the powerful community that is CrossFit. The Open is a way to experience that community on a global scale AND test your fitness. Each week for 5 weeks one workout is posted that people all over the world complete (last year over100,000 people did them). We all post our scores and see where we end up. If our team or one of our individuals is lucky enough to place in the top part of our region, we advance to the regionals held on Reebok’s campus. If we place in the top portion there then we end up in California for the Reebok CrossFit Games!
Why Should I Participate?
I know what a lot of you are thinking – “I just started CrossFit not too long ago and have sooo many things to get better at. Why should I participate? I’m not ready.” There are a million reasons why, but let me share mine with you:
- You will discover things about yourself you didn’t know. For some reason when you compete, you find ways to push your body and mind harder than you knew you could. The feeling you have afterwards, knowing that you just did something you had zero idea you could do is simply amazing!
- Baseline for next year. Two years ago was my first open. I had a lot of weaknesses, but did it anyway just to get a baseline. I finished 444th that year. Last year there were way more people but I had busted my tail working on my fitness and ended up improving by 200 spots! Had I never done the one two years ago, I wouldn’t have anything to compare it too! Just think in 1 year how much better you will be! Won’t you want something to compare to?
- Experience the community. As you have come to find out, community is what makes CrossFit special. This is your opportunity to experience it on a much larger scale. I can’t tell you the pride I felt last year telling people our box competed in the open. Then you travel around, meet other CrossFitters, talk about the open together, and realize that this awesome CrossFit community is so much bigger than just our box. Of course, I like to think our community is the best out of all of them!
- Our Reebok CrossFit Bare Cove Team may actually use your score! Each week the top three female and male scores for our box are taken to represent our team. Everyone that signs up will be on our team, which means YOU have a chance to contribute to our score! Just think how cool that would be.
- You will do the workouts anyway. Ok, so if the cool inspirational and motivational stuff isn’t your thing, how about being practical. I’m going to program the open workouts every week, so you will be doing them anyway. Net, you may as well participate!
Still not convinced? Check out this video: http://games.crossfit.com/video/me-vs
How Do I Sign Up?
Signing up is super easy! Simply go here to register https://games.crossfit.com/cf/login?returnTo=%2Fcompetition&flow=games. Make sure to sign up for our affiliate AND team.
Yes there is a $20 cost, BUT the experience you will have will be well worth it!!
Where Do I Go for Questions?
Shoot me an email or ask me in class if you have any questions.
Let’s crush this!