The Open is Here!
Hey Bare Covers,
The Reebok CrossFit Games Open is here! I know a lot of you have no idea what this is so let me start by including a cool video. Yes, the guy from Australia was…well…yeah, just watch.
What is The Open?
We have all experienced the powerful community that is CrossFit. The Open is a way to experience that community on a global scale AND test your fitness. Each week for 5 weeks one workout is posted that people all over the world complete (last year over 76,000 people did them). We all post our scores and see where we end up. If our team or one of our individuals is lucky enough to place in the top part of our region, we advance to the regionals held on Reebok’s campus. If we place in the top portion there then we end up in California for the Reebok CrossFit Games!
Why Should I Participate?
I know what a lot of you are thinking – “I just started CrossFit not too long ago and have sooo many things to get better at. Why should I participate? I’m not ready.” there are a million reasons why, but let me share mine with you:
- You will discover things about yourself you didn’t know. For some reason when you compete, you find ways to push your body and mind harder than you knew you could. The feeling you have afterwards, knowing that you just did something you had zero idea you could do is simply amazing!
- Baseline for next year. Last year was my first open. I wasn’t near the athlete I am now, so I think, but now I can actually see. I can’t wait to see where I place vs. my score last year to see how my hard work has payed off. Just think in 1 year how much better you will be! Won’t you want something to compare to?
- Experience the community. As you have come to find out, community is what makes CrossFit special. This is your opportunity to experience it on a much larger scale. I can’t tell you the pride I felt last year telling people I competed in the open. Then you travel around, meet other CrossFitters, talk about the open together, and realize that this awesome CrossFit community is so much bigger than just our box. Of course, I like to think our community is the best out of all of them!
- Our Reebok CrossFit Bare Cove Team may actually use your score! Each week the top three female and male scores for our box are taken to represent our team. Everyone that signs up will be on our team, which means YOU have a chance to contribute to our score! Just think how cool that would be.
- You will do the workouts anyway. Ok, so if the cool inspirational and motivational stuff isn’t your thing, how about being practical. I’m going to program the open workouts every week, so you will be doing them anyway. Net, you may as well participate!
How Do I Sign Up?
Signing up is super easy! Check out this video to register: http://games.crossfit.com/video/how-register-athlete. Make sure to sign up for our affiliate AND team.
Yes there is a $20 cost, BUT the experience you will have will be well worth it!!
Where Do I Go for Questions?
Shoot me an email or ask me in class if you have any questions.
Let’s crush this!